
I don't know about you but personally I am tired of all the BYU hype. Today, Pat Forde of ESPN listed BYU as one of the 11 teams that could win the NCAA tourney (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4858570). This is extremely laughable to me. Considering BYU hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1993 how are they going to be the 11th possible team to win an NCAA tourney game? Here is what Forde says:
BYU (11). Why the Cougars can win it: Impressively efficient offensive team that shoots extremely well from the field (55 percent from 2-point range, 41 percent from 3) and phenomenally from the foul line (77.4 percent, best in the nation). They take care of the ball, too, and play better-than-suspected defense. Guard Jimmer Fredette might be the most underrated player in the country. (You'll read more about him below.) They've already played 10 road or neutral-site games, winning nine of them.
Why they might not: Can a school that hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1993 suddenly jump up and win six? Doubtful.
Record against RPI top 50: 2-0.
Record against RPI top 100: 8-1.
It is my personal opinion that the MWC gets less love than it deserves. However, the MWC hasn't done much to prove it deserves better. Since its inception the MWC only has 3 NCAA tourney wins. 2 of those are UNLV's with its sweet 16 run a few years back. And while I wish the NCAA would give the MWC better seeding (because it is deserved), I think Forde is off his rocker to think that BYU could win it all. I would be surprised if they won a tournament game this year again. Their strength of schedule is in the 120's - something I think Dave Rose does on purpose. I've never been impressed with his sos. However, they did beat UNLV this season and play a tough game at the PIT tomorrow night in Albuquerque.
Congrats to Tre' for winning MWC player of the week. He is tearing up the league right now. TCU's coach said Tre' is the best player they've seen all season. It will be interesting to see what coach says after he plays Jimmer. These two are clearly the best in the league and I think you can make an argument for either one - though I'll lean towards Tre'.
Later,
D
No comments:
Post a Comment