
You might think based on the title of this post that it would be about Derrick Jasper. And ok, we still don't know anything about Jasper's injury, but I tend to prepare for the worst. My heart did in fact stop for a split second last night as I sat in the third row, near the UNLV bench, when Jasper went down and grabbed his left knee - the same knee he had surgery on just a short while ago. I watched and listened as Matt Shaw came out of the game a few minutes later and asked if Derrick was ok. Derrick's response: "no." Although I am still unaware of any news about the MRI that Kruger said would take place this morning, the fact of the matter is this: Kendall Wallace has to STEP UP. He did last night.
I'll be honest. I haven't been a big Kendall Wallace fan the last two seasons. I've seen very little that impresses me and other than the recent New Mexico game it is my contention that "Kendo" only has good games against relatively poor competition. It is also my contention that Kendo doesn't really help the Rebs if he isn't making shots.
This is why I say he needs to STEP UP. If Jasper is out we need Kendo to do more. He HAS to make 3 to 4 three's a game to contribute. Now I know that Jasper isn't scoring a ton, but he provides a LOT on the floor when he is in. Jasper averages 5 rebounds a game, has 3 times as many steals, and more than 3 times as many assists as Kendo. Jasper is taller, can jump higher, and provides a calming influence on the floor. Jasper is also a much better defender.
All I'm asking Kendo to do is make shots. He can't have a period of 2-19 (or so) like he did the last two games until he hit 4 straight last night against Air Force. He was 4-10 last night from 3. I'll take that from Kendo. But it needs to be a nightly occurrence. At least 4-10. He is currently shooting under 40% from behind the arc. He needs to be at around 42% for the season by its end. I also liked his freshman year when he would head fake, take a few dribbles and dump off to the big inside. Please Kendo, no more fade-away three's, or turn around j's in traffic for airballs (See BYU game and Kendo's first shot). MAKE SHOTS. It's your job....Please....
I also believe that Kendo does need to relax. When he misses a 3 he gets pretty upset. Now I don't know the kid but in my personal experience it seems like he is putting too much pressure on himself to make the shot. Almost like he is living and dieing with every 3 that goes up. Dude, just let it go. If he has more UNM games in him we need them now...
The only other way I see our season saved - and I mean a run in the NCAA tourney - is if Tre' plays every week like he did the last few. If he plays like he is POY in the MWC and outplays Jimmer - we have a shot.
Of course all of this could be irrelevant if Jasper's injury is minor. But either way, Kendo needs to make shots. Or do we have to get Mike Rose some more eligibility and convince Leavitt Insurance to let him play for the Rebels for a season or two?
Later,
D
No comments:
Post a Comment